Monday, May 3, 2010

Fire Department Tour

Last Thursday we had a tour of the Broadway Fire Station with the playgroup from Church. Since the station is so close - six blocks or so - I pushed Latham in the stroller and Ronan rode his bicycle.

Latham and the beautiful carved wooden sign for the fire station.

Ronan was so excited to touch a real fire truck.

"Hello? Is anyone in there?!?"

Latham was pretty mellow and wasn't overly excited about the field trip.

On the other hand, Ronan was in there like a dirty shirt; jumping at the chance to wear a real firefighter's helmet.

"What is that strange man putting on my head?"

Like I said, Latham stayed mellow but Ronan got in on the action...

...hugging the dressed-up fire fighter...

...checking out all the controls and gauges...

...and even spending some time in the driver's seat!

I found this fascinating! This is how a fire truck's engine is serviced.

Ronan got to check out the driver's seat of an ambulance too.

As we were getting ready to leave, Ronan wanted to go back to the firemen to show them his bicycle - they commended him for wearing a helmet.

He is getting so good at riding his bike!

I was extremely grateful to the firefighters; they gave the children (and the mommies and some daddies) a fantastic tour, that truthfully was the highlight of last week!

2 comments:

Pimentel said...

The Firestation you went to looks so much fun! Great photos... glad they were all up for the 'full experience'.

butters said...

That's so great about the firestation, my boys just had their own personal tour in The Dalles as Sam's dad knows the fire captain there. They both loved it so much there eyes were huge, so fun to watch! When I get to my blog, I will post the pictures.

I also love the Looneyspoon, crazy plate books... they aren't so popular down here(go Canada). I love that they are healthy and easy to make and taste really good!