Friday, April 23, 2010

A week of "Eat, Shrink and be Merry"

I LOVE to cook - it's relaxing for me and really fun. However, I always need to have a recipe; I am not one of those people who can just throw ingredients together and come up with a gourmet meal. Nope, anytime I've tried that has failed miserably. If you don't believe me, just ask Collin. :)
I can however, tweak and refine the recipes that I find; tailor them to the likes of our family - my friend calls it "Meganizing" - but that's a different story.

One of my most favorite cookbooks is "Eat, Shrink and be Merry", authored by the Podleski sisters and given to me for Christmas 2005 by my Mom (she even wrote in the front cover - it's really special). I love their recipes because so many of them are completely different from western cuisine; also, they are healthy and low-fat! The book itself is a joy to read since all the recipes have silly names, and there are fun facts and cartoons on every page.

This week I decided to do a (work) week of their recipes.

On Monday I made...

The Better Butter Chicken

Fragrant Indian butter chicken - although this version only uses two tablespoons of butter. It is absolutely to die for...anyone that hasn't had butter chicken before, I strongly recommend it; your taste buds will thank you.

On Tuesday I made The Soy in the Plastic Bubble; a quick and colorful tofu stir-fry with hoisin-peanut sauce.
The veggies in this were fantastic!

Wednesday was Not Humdrumsticks; baked honey mustard and herb chicken drumsticks.
These are amazing and so easy to whip up for a quick weekday meal! I always have the ingredients for this on-hand.

On Thursday we had Parma Chameleon; which is tofu parmesan, a protein-packed alternative to traditional eggplant parmesan. It was great! I made pesto fettucine to go with it - I love having store bought pesto on hand, it is a must-have staple in my kitchen!

Today we are having...leftovers! Each recipe makes 4-6 servings and we don't eat that much!

1 comment:

Raychill Canuck said...

I wish I had been visiting this week. I always enjoy your cooking.