Friday, May 7, 2010

Crabby!

Last Sunday, our friends Dan & Darlene, invited Collin and I to go fishing with them. We left Abbotsford at 7:30am and by 9am we were in the boat. The plan was to set a few crab pots and then start fishing.

We were at the entrance to Horseshoe Bay, just west of Vancouver.

Unfortunately, I didn't do well in a small boat on the ocean - the rolling motion of the waves made me nauseous very quickly, and our fishing expedition was cut short. Instead of staying out trolling after dropping the crab pots, we headed in to Granville Island to give me a bit of a break from the waves.

After more than an hour on land, I felt better and we headed back out to retrieve the pots.

Collin pulling up a pot.

Yay, we caught some!

We were only allowed to keep males over a certain size.

The boys measuring the make sure it's a "keeper".

This was the most full pot - we were so excited when it came to the surface.

I wanted my picture taken with this guy - the biggest one that was caught - but I was absolutely NOT touching it!

There was no point measuring this one - we could tell he was big enough, but we did, just to make sure.

In all we caught almost a dozen, but only six fit the criteria so we could keep them.

Driving back to the boat launch we passed this log boom, and were amused to see all the seals laying out on the logs hitching a ride.

We split the crabs with Dan & Darlene, and took ours back to my parents' house to cook up for a feast!

Ronan got into the spirit, and starting cracking away!

It was a messy job - but the tasty crab meat was well worth the effort!

I showed Ronan how the claw opened and closed by pulling on the tendon. He thought it was a great new toy, and didn't understand why it had to be thrown out when we were done dinner! He wanted to keep it to play with it the next day - eeewww! :(

No comments: